This is a really yummy pudding that is very simple to make on the AGA. Lovely with a dollop of natural yoghurt or cream. This is a Sarah Whitaker recipe.
1/2 oz (10g) butter
4 large ripe pears
1 tin condensed caramel (saves you boiling and possibly exploding those condensed milk cans!)
3/4 pint (450 ml) milk
2 balls of stem ginger from a jar and 1 tbsp of the syrup
1 brioche sliced loaf
4 oz (100g) sultanas
2 tbsp demerara sugar
Baking Oven, 180C, 375F, Gas 5
- Set the butter onto the back of the Aga to melt. Brush an Aga deep baking dish with the butter.
- Peel, core and quarter the pears and cut them into slices. Grate the stem ginger.
- Beat the eggs and milk together in a jug and stir in the ginger and syrup. Mix in the caramel.
- Lay slices of the brioche into the dish. Add a layer of pears and half of the sultanas, then another layer of brioche, another layer of pears and finish with a final layer of brioche.
- Pour the egg and milk mixture over the pudding and leave to soak for at least half an hour, or overnight.
- Scatter the demerara sugar over the top of the pudding and bake
- In a 3,4 or 5 oven Aga: Hang the dish from the 3rd runners in the baking oven.
- In a 2 oven Aga: Set the dish into the large roasting tin and hang the tin from the 4th lowest runners in the roading oven. Slide the cold shelf onto the 2nd runners above.
- Bake the pudding for about half an hour until it is golden and crunchy on top.